7/7/2017 – 28 Weeks
What’s Baby Lama up to this week? Oh, not much. Just adding billions of neurons to that beautiful brain of his. And what is he doing with all this brain power? He is dreaming! He’s filling out his body and my belly now too. He is around 2.25 pounds, and almost 15 inches from head to toe. With any luck, baby is settling into the perfect position for birth now. He currently lies low, but we are not sure where that beautiful head of his is. He is also blinking now!
This is the time that swelling and fluid retention cause changes in pregnancy. Many women experience “cankles”, swollen fingers, and rounder faces. So far my rings still fit and my ankles aren’t swollen, but let’s hope it stays that way. Summertime in Florida is not the idea time to be pregnant, but here we are!
Here are some great ways to decrease swelling if it does affect you:
- Avoid standing for long periods.
- Minimize outdoor time when it is hot.
- Rest with your feet elevated.
- Wear comfortable shoes, avoiding high heels if possible.
- Wear supportive tights or stockings.
Call your doctor if the swelling:
- Moves up your calf and leaves an indentation when pressed, or is sudden or severe in your face, hands or feet. If this happens in your third trimester, it could mean that you have pre-eclampsia.
- Occurs only in one leg, particularly if your calf is red, tender and lumpy. These can be symptoms of a blood clot in your vein (thrombosis).
Here I am at 28 weeks! The third trimester has officially begun! Fatigue has a good chance to return now and increased back pain may begin. Other symptoms include snoring (from that swelling), leg cramping, and oh boy- frequent urination.